Gordon K. Rea - When Family Law Matters... call an attorney you can trust.

Recent Posts

Missouri’s New Harassment Law and Class E Felony: §§ 565.090.1 and 565.091.1 RSMo
Missouri’s New Class E Felony and 3rd Degreee Domestic Assault
Should I Get a Divorce?
Do I really need to hire an attorney?

Criminal Matters
Legal Separation
Special Issues
Ways To Get Divorced
powered by

Just One Lawyer's Opinion

Donald and Marie were living the good life. They'd been married over forty years, his second marriage, her first, and they were retired, spending time enjoying their grandchildren. Then Donald passed unexpectedly.

After the funeral, Marie received a call from Donald's retirement plan provider. The voice said, “Your marriage was never valid because Donald’s divorce was not final before your marriage.” Then the voice said something that shook her to her core, “You can no longer draw Donald's retirement. I'm going to put through some paperwork so that you do not have to pay back what you received after Donald died, but that may not be approved.”

In Missouri, the law only permits an attorney to attack the entry of the divorce on the basis of extrinsic fraud or fraud upon the Court. Very hard to do. In this case the first wife, judge, divorce attorney, are all unavailable. In Illinois, however, there is a remedy for Illinois residents. A statute provides that any person having gone through a marriage ceremony, who has cohabited with another to whom he was not legally married in the good faith belief that he was married to that person is a putative spouse until knowledge of the fact that he is not legally married terminates his status and prevents acquisition of further rights. It is even effective after-the-fact on a retirement plan provider.

Actually, Donald and Marie avoided the scenario, above. They relocated from Missouri to Illinois, and after establishing residency, filed with a local court to have the “defect” in the validity of their marriage corrected. Not including the move, it was as simple as a name change and was binding upon the retirement plan provider.

Whether you need simple or more complicated family law help, call an attorney (licensed in Missouri and Illinois) who cares, who is accessible, and who will aggressively pursue your goals.

Gordon Rea

8 Comments to No Retirement!!? I Thought We Were Married? The plight of the putative spouse in Missouri.:

Comments RSS
nadge on Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:36 AM
Reply to comment

rush my essays writingservice on Friday, June 02, 2017 11:01 AM
No retirement? I thought we were married the plight of the putative spouse in missouri marriage was never valid. I have got better tips with familylawmattersinstlouis blog,divorce attorney provides fraud or fraud upon the court.
Reply to comment

www.essayhelperuk.co.uk on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:59 PM
Well, personally speaking it’s your life and you should be the one to decide whether to get it or not. As a piece of advice I will say that remember that if you can bear t then you should and if you can’t bear it then you shouldn’t bear it that’s all.
Reply to comment

Pay Someone to Write my Essay on Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:59 AM
This is a to a splendid degree illuminating article. I also concur with your post title and your genuinely well light up your perspective. I am staggeringly overflowing to see this post. A dedication of appreciation is all together for share with us. Keep it up and share the all the more most related post. Awesome work!
Reply to comment

www.assignmentuk.co.uk on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:56 AM
I know one thing that you have to trust in yourself and do everything that you want to do in your life. This is the main rule to live the happy life. I also appreciate your article in which you give the best information to live the happy life
Reply to comment

VIVO IPL 2018 on Saturday, February 03, 2018 6:37 AM
We as a whole know that how much cricket sweethearts are insane for the Indian Premier League and consistently individuals from various nations visit India for viewing their most loved group live in IPL.
Reply to comment

Sammy on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:15 AM
Thank you very much to share a very good story about Donald and Marie that were living the good life.Carry on it. horse mats
Reply to comment

little ceasars menu with price on Thursday, March 08, 2018 2:16 AM
Little Caesars utilizes just the finest fixings in our pizzas, Caesar Wings, Crazy Bread, Italian Cheese Bread, and Crazy Sauce to give top-quality items.
Reply to comment